Playtime Peekaboo!

I consider myself a pretty good judge of baby gender now that I've been at this daddy thing for a while.  When I'm at the playground, I assume I'm right 90%+ of the time.  That's why I am so perplexed by my inability to feel confident in knowing what any of the five babies in this book are.  If I had to guess, I'd say girl, boy, boy, girl, girl.  Is this the unknown key to selling books to babies of both sexes or just a curious strategy employed by the Dorling Kindersley publishing team (there is no credited author)?     

THREE PROS
*I like the way the book uses the left side of the page to set the scene in real life and then uses the right side to tickle your imagination
*The images are not only super clear but they have a vibrancy I don't think I have ever seen in a children's book
*There is good variety in the items presented 

THREE CONS 
*Repeating the format of a "where" question followed by an "is it" question is kind of annoying 
*Having two of the five things under the flap rhyme with peekaboo is confusing; either rhyme all five or limit it to one/no rhyme
*I don't know what's more disturbing: that the little bear's textured tuft is only chest hair or that he is positioned in a come-hither stance 

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Sometimes you have to take a step back and think about the value you are getting for the price you are paying.  In this case, it's quite a good deal. For only $7 you get a large board book with high-quality images and two forms of interactivity (lift-able flaps and textured touchpoints).  So even though there's nothing really to the story from a creativity standpoint, it still lands solidly in the Borrow category.     

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy


No comments: