Toes, Ears, & Nose!

It's been a hectic last two weeks.  Sibling visits and work obligations have taken me away from my favorite activity (other than sibling visits, oh, and spending time with my wife).  So to my RSS subscribers, I apologize.  Now let's get to reviewing the kiddie version of Gray's Anatomy...  

THREE PROS
*The primary objective of the book (introducing children to the various parts of the body) is well executed
*As someone who constantly bashes books for terrible endings, I feel like it's important for me to point out that I liked this ending
*The flaps blend in well with the rest of the page 

THREE CONS 
*If we're putting body parts under the flaps, why did the author choose to deviate from the norm twice with entire phrases (probably to make it rhyme, but it seems lazy to me)
*One child wears boots without socks; thereby promoting the increased likelihood of athlete's foot and other itchy foot-borne afflictions
*The kids in this book are the products of some fashionably-challenged households -- if I was writing a sequel, it would probably seem like one of those reality shows where a person with a disaster wardrobe is magically transformed by the end of the episode

ONE DAD'S OPINION
The back of my copy of Toes, Ears, & Nose claims that it once won a "Children's Book-of-the-Month Club Main Selection."  This generic claim somehow seems fitting.  The book is OK in a generic sort of way, but doesn't do anything to wow you.  My guess is that the average kid will like it more than you or me, but it's still not worth your time.

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy 


1 comment:

Parenting Network said...

Happy Mother's Day to all my mommy friends.

You Know you are a mom when...
http://parenting-happinesstochaos.blogspot.com/