A Day With Daddy


Something about that title really grabbed me, although I can't quite put my finger on it... 

THREE PROS
*If you are looking for a book that celebrates the power of a father spending time with his kids, it doesn't get much more straightforward than this  
*Artist Gustavo Mazali has a real gift when it comes to manipulating the focus of objects in order to set the foreground and background
*Dad takes a nap toward the end of the story -- thank you Louise Gikow for making me feel a little better about my propensity for midday slumber 

THREE CONS 
*I realize putting the word "Daddy" on nearly every page is part of the schtick, but by the end I was aching for at least one other synonym to mix it up 
*Of all the angles to orient the image on the hot dog cart that the boy was standing in front of, why did Mazali choose the one he did 
*I am not an educator, so I probably don't get it, but what's the point of a word list telling you what words you will see inside -- are there really people out there that will pick up a book, look at the word list, and decide against reading it because three of the 48 words aren't what they were looking for

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I know a lot of my reviews get a little detail-heavy when I am trying to justify the rating, so this will be like a breath of fresh air for you.  A Day With Daddy is a simple book with a simple message.  It doesn't strive to be anything more than what it is.  And since the artwork is solid, I am comfortable calling it a Borrow and calling it a day!      

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy




No comments: