Mon Cirque


I don't know why it's taken me so long to find a French language book to review.  Apologies to the roughly 300 million speakers who have been ignored by KBR until now! 

THREE PROS
*Tourbillon serves up a visual feast to the normally sedate board book category, what with its 3D cover and perfectly placed cutouts  
*There's something cool about what essentially amounts to a black-and-white book being splashed with so much color
*Once again exposed just how little French my wife knows after seven years of instruction -- any token way to make myself feel (falsely) superior helps the old ego

THREE CONS 
*As much as I like the cutout concept, I was a little disappointed that there were multiple duplicates (moons, stars, eyes) 
*Why is the magician wearing a hat while he is letting birds fly out of another hat that he is holding 
*Is that supposed to be someone's tiny head housed in the hole on the petit(e) train

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Who wouldn't want to take a trip to a French circus?  Ever heard of Cirque du Soleil?  I hear they might be slightly profitable. Consider this book to be the kidlit equivalent of Dralion, (a show I've never seen in person) since it has received mostly positive reviews but also seems to have a few flaws.  [For instance, outside of Mon Cirque, how many circuses have you heard of having trains or giraffes?]  In other words, this is a Borrow, even if you live in one of the 29 countries where French is the official language..
.    

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy



No comments: