In A People House

I didn't really know the backstory on how Theodor Geisel chose which books to use the nom de plume of Dr. Seuss and which ones warranted Theo LeSieg, that is until I consulted Wikipedia.  As it turns out, he was Dr. Seuss whenever he illustrated a book that he wrote.  Let's see if he put the same effort behind his LeSieg titles.

THREE PROS
*Roy McKie's artwork has such a striking similarity to a Dr. Seuss piece, but somehow is just less creepy
*The main characters, Mr. Bird and the mouse, are both likable
*Any book that can reference bureau drawers directly after baked beans is alright with me

THREE CONS 
*I am pretty sure I could make something equally as good if I wrote down the first 50 things I saw in my house and then went to a local art college and paid a freshman $50 to mimic the Dr. Seuss look
*Why does it seem like every Geisel book involves some creature carrying way too many things on the tip of his or her nose
*And, for that matter, why are the socks always growing hairs out of them -- completely disgusting

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Say the name "Dr. Seuss" and I defy you to find me a single person who is 100% neutral on the man.  Personally, I fall in on the negative side with most of his stuff.  As I mentioned earlier, his illustrations have never inspired me (as I grew older I realized that it looked like the work of someone who had just dropped acid, and since I have never sipped the electric Kool-Aid, this probably explains the disconnect).  "People House" didn't change my mind, but it was slightly better than some of the other stuff I have read.  The usual random words with no real point, but at least the back cover justifies it by saying it targets the "youngest of the young."  [Supposedly, Geisel was firm in his belief that his books should "only use words from a list of 379 words compiled (redacted) as the basic vocabulary for young readers, along with twenty more from a larger list of slightly harder words, and one 'emergency word' of their choice."  What I have failed to find was who created the list and whether any other author of the time also shared this belief.]  Look at me, I am totally rambling. Here's what you need to know.  The book is perfectly fine, but utterly uninspiring.  There's a reason why you've never heard of it.       

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy 


No comments: