I See

I see a bad review in the very near future.

THREE PROS
*I like the way that each left-hand page shows the objects in equal proportion while the right side captures the essence of the size of each item relative to a little boy
*The depiction of two new friends staring at each other is absolutely perfect thanks to each one taking a stance that only children under five seem to utilize
*Hey, it's only $4

THREE CONS 
*I'm all for mixing things up when it comes to choosing material for a kid book, but these six items leave you wondering why they made the author's final cut (not that they are weird, just totally arbitrary)
*Something about the moon scene throws me for a loop; is he praying or baying like a werewolf or just mesmerized by celestial bodies
*I can't find a third specific reason why I don't like it, other than the overall feeling that it is was a colossal waste of time (for me, any kid that opens it, the author, the person that actually had to rubber stamp it into production, etc)

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I get it.  Short board books are part of the landscape of the literary world.  Still, if I could ask Helen Oxenbury one question, it would be "Why?"  That's it.  I would not probe any deeper because it would not be worth expending any more energy or brain power to go further than this.  She didn't feel the need to do much of anything with her effort so why should I?  It probably is close to Destroy-worthy, but its utter lack of importance in this world leads me to believe that posting a YouTube clip of its demise would draw more attention to it then it deserves.  So I will just leave it as a Donate and hope that it forever sits in limbo in some unseen corner of my blog.

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy 


No comments: