Rain

Rain, Rain, go away.  You are a pretty unexciting book that should not have been so prevalently displayed at my local library.            

THREE PROS
*I wish I knew the dictionary entry that connotes the concept of using words to literally illustrate their meaning, because if I did I would tell you this book's main point of differentiation is this feature
*Does a good job teaching kids what happens leading up to a typical rainstorm
*Harmless enough effort at making something not so positive a tad fun to read about

THREE CONS 
*The time couldn't be anymore skewed in here -- it goes from day to night and back to day in the same millisecond that it takes a car to drive about 20 feet
*Are those clouds really gray (I'd argue brown) and is that grass truly green (yes, but with a LOT of yellow in it)
*Why does the page with the picture of the white house come after the page that says "rain on the white house" 

ONE DAD'S OPINION
This book was first published in 1978.  Given the limitations printers had just 30 years ago, I could imagine that this was pretty high-tech for back then.  Who knows, maybe I read Robert Kalan's creation as a youngster and absolutely loved it!  But certain books do not stand the test of time and become as outdated as a Betamax or 8-track.  Here's one example.  And, to be honest, it's really not that cool to see "rain" written out on page after page anyway...      

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy


No comments: