Excavadoras/Backhoes

Construction vehicles in English and Spanish?  Sounds like a fiesta to me!                    

THREE PROS
*Extremely large pictures of fuel-guzzling yellow machines in action
*Each page features English on the top and Spanish on the bottom, which will help older kids improve their comprehension of the language they are less familiar with
*Conveniently points out the parts being discussed using arrow boxes over the pix

THREE CONS 
*You will hate that you ever learned to read after finishing this one
*The glosario in back is strangely organized (even though I guess its in alphabetical order) and a total skip over for parents and kids alike
*There's something depressing about so much dirt being showcased in every image you see 

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I was noticing the other day that I haven't yet given a negative review to a bilingual book.  Consider those days over.  It's almost unbelievable how many times the same word is used to start both sentences on pages with only two periods (per language).  Maybe Linda Williams thought children respond to that type of cadence. Well, I don't.  No me gusta su libro Linda, no me gusta.  So even though my son loves looking at the backhoes, this book won't be seeing the light of day for some time.  We'll find him some other outlet for his construction addiction.                 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy


2 comments:

Megella said...

I almost never comment back when folks ask for comments within comments on my blog (say "comment" again!), few and far between as they are for me. But...
I LOVE your blog.
Very worthwhile idea, I love the reviews, love your tone, and I'm envious of the overall usefulness of the blog itself.
I have some back reading to do here!
I will definitely link to you. Please feel free to follow my blog as well. I did a TV show review post about a year ago, here:

http://lafamigliad.blogspot.com/2010/04/tv-guide.html

A As the parent of two literary babies, I really appreciate this blog. I highly recommend "Baby Business" by Mittie Cuetara.

Unknown said...


Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink exchange agreement among us.
retroexcavadora