Always Lots Of Heinies At The Zoo


At the risk of sounding like an ass, let me assure you that you won't be bummed after reading this review. 

THREE PROS
*I'm having trouble deciding whether the first pro is the title or the entire idea for the book itself 
*I didn't notice it the first time through, but I love the handy elephant backside to kinkajou conversion chart
*The author and illustrator forego the usual facial photos for pix of their booties 

THREE CONS 
*Despite what I said above, this is, at its core, a book about buttholes 
*I really liked the word placement on the panda and lioness page, but the zebra and gnu placement seems unlikely, not to mention cruel to the poor felines 
*I don't get the Easter Island donation head, especially since it's mouth is closed (where does the money go)

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Ayun Halliday and Dan Santat might just be the perfect children's book team -- that's probably why they got a deal with Disney's Hyperion Books.  I absolutely loved reading this book, and to be honest, I think I loved it even before I opened it.  It is really great.  But(t), even with all of the fun and teachings it provides, can I really see myself buying a book about tushies?  As a gag gift, yes, but for year-round use?  Can't say that I would.  [But please consider buying the collaborators other works!]    

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy




No comments: