W Is For Wombat


And M is for "Most random title you will see this week." 

THREE PROS
*Crammed with enough uncommon species to give your kid a huge head start on a zoology career  
*I thought I knew all of the crustaceans until I learned about the yabby -- looks delicious
*Did you know there's an animal called the quokka -- I am so using that in Words With Friends the next time I get stuck with a q and two k's 

THREE CONS 
*Bronwyn Bancroft's tribal art is pretty cool, but the scheme throws off your visual perception on certain items (like the river and the platypus) 
*Would have chosen a different animal for the letter 'n' -- having a wombat and a numbat just pages apart doesn't seem right 
*I'm confused why Bancroft used black and white for the magpies and cockatoos while everything else is multicolored

ONE DAD'S OPINION
OK, so it's a stretch labeling this a bilingual book.  But, I mean, c'mon, half of the things depicted in here might as well be from another planet for everyone who doesn't live between the Indian and Pacific Oceans.  And that's what makes it a Borrow for us Americans.  If we lived in Australia, it would most certainly be a Buy.  Still, W is for Wombat is guaranteed to be unlike any other alphabet book you see, and that alone will help break up the monotony of running from A thru Z.    

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy




1 comment:

Monica said...

Hi,

I've got a childrens (9-12) fantasy novel that I would like reviewed. Would you be interested?

It won't be released until about end of Dec/early January. But would be happy to mail you a copy.

If so, please go to my blog
m-g-russell.blogspot.com and drop me an email.

Cheers

Monica