Children Make Terrible Pets


I couldn't agree more!  

THREE PROS
*Doesn't miss a single detail in its effort to flip the whole pet and owner model on its head 
*To have the little boy speak in unintelligible squeaks while the bears use perfect English sells the whole concept
*It's probably the shadowing technique Peter Brown uses, but whatever it is, the pictures give off a vibe of being modern and crisp while simultaneously evoking a 19th century feel

THREE CONS 
*My wife and I both agree that the page placement of speech bubbles and story text can cause you to pause to decide which to read first (although in his defense, I do like the color-coding chosen) 
*Having Mama Bear say "they really are the worst" when referring to children was hilarious to me but might lead toddlers to gain a negative self-image
*The window placement on the human home was strange


ONE DAD'S OPINION
I think I may have found my new favorite author.  For someone with such a common name, Peter Brown brings a fresh, unique, and humorous take to every book I have seen of his thus far.  His illustrations are intricate, but still have that everyman quality that can be enjoyed by people from all walks of life.  But more than anything else, it's the themes he chooses that make his books so fun to crack open.  In the case of CMTP, this last point is what really won me over.  It's one thing to take a personal childhood experience and use it 
(he kept a frog he found in the woods) to fuel the theme of a kid's story, but it's something else entirely to create a timeless classic from it.  Children might make terrible pets, but CMTP makes for a totally Buyable purchase.

BUY / Borrow / Donate / Destroy




No comments: