I Know Where My Food Goes


I haven't had to create a new category for some time, but this one warranted such a move. 

THREE PROS
*Until your child reads this book, there's a good chance that she or he will have no idea what happens between the time when food enters the mouth and when it comes out the other side  
*Katharine McEwen's drawings are fairly crude but do a good job of getting the point across
*Emphasizes being careful when swallowing food, which has to be one of my top three concerns as a parent

THREE CONS 
*I want you to click on the cover picture below and analyze what's going on right above the word "Illustrated" -- yes, it's the final step in the process, but c'mon 
*The whole back-and-forth between mother and son is kind of stupid -- I would have liked it more if Sam was learning along with us instead of being a semi-know-it-all with the vocabulary of a know-very-little 
*I was most interested to learn more about the "faucet" action that takes place between the stomach and the small intestine (since author Jacqui Maynard brought it up), but was left hungry

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I'm still not sure my almost-three-year-old son is totally prepared for the leap to books seemingly designed for older kids, but my librarian recommended IKWMFG after I asked for something with pictures of skeletons.  [Sidebar: there are none.]  So I figured why not.  It's heart is in the right place (as are all the rest of the vital organs!) and it projects a voice that is appropriate for the age it intends to educate.  Still, it is not a good book.  The way I see it, it was a decent change of pace from the fictional material my boy and I normally share, so reading it a few times was okay.  But, again, it is not good
.    

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: