Little Red Riding Hood


Not something I see many people looking to wolf down. 

THREE PROS
*The story of LLRH will be around forever -- or, at least, a lot longer than the blog of some random Internet critic   
*Nice to know that Red and her grandma were able to survive physically unscathed from being swallowed by a hungry predator -- keeps it relevant for most children
*Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's construction of the cover and binding has the look and feel of a quality title

THREE CONS 
*I'm all for nostalgic-looking books, but the colors in this one seem entirely too washed out and drab for something published last year (granted it's a reprint of a 1974 edition) 
*I don't remember the wolf dying from fright upon seeing the huntsman, but if that's the original ending, then it needed an update 
*Tough to critique the length of an old folk tale, but felt entirely too wordy for my taste -- wish they would have shaved some of the excess fur off

ONE DAD'S OPINION

It's obvious I had forgotten some key details about Ms. Hood's seminal moment.  So, in that sense, Paul Galdone's retelling was of some value to me.  Additionally, I was glad it gave me the opportunity to share this classic with my son.  Aside from those two facets, it was a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Let's pretend it was just another book, as opposed to a universally-known tome. If that was the case, I have no doubt I'd give it a Donate for it's lack of titillating illustration and curious plot choices.  This begs the question: do I bump it up to a Borrow because of its standing in the kidlit world?  The answer is no.  Take your basket of goodies to another (publishing) house. 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: