If I Built A Car

This one has all the bells and whistles.  We're talking the premium package baby! 

THREE PROS
*Not a complicated concept, yet executed to such perfection from a storyline and rhyming standpoint that it warrants Best In Show status  
*Come for Chris Van Dusen's illustrations, then stay for his imagination
*A lot of people might undervalue the work Jack puts in during the design phase, choosing to skip right ahead to see all of the cool features he puts on his car -- but I think his late night planning sessions are the chassis the rest of the book is built on

THREE CONS 
*It takes a second to get past the retro look of the vehicle (especially considering it was written in 2005), but once you do, the ride could not be smoother 
*I'm all for modes of transport that emit pleasant smells as they putt along, but the page referencing it takes us on an unintended detour (although Mr. V.D. might argue that it's a way to get the car out of the driveway and over to the lake) 
*There are times where the driver's seat appears to be centrally located behind the windshield and others where it looks like it is positioned in a more standard spot for American cars

ONE DAD'S OPINION
It's been so long since I have bestowed a Best of the Best rating that I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to do it again.  Consider that obstacle cleared from the road.  Our family loves reading this story, and it doesn't appear to be running out of gas anytime soon.  If I Built A Car comes equipped with plenty of horsepower and you're gonna get a lot of mileage out of it, so I have no qualms about suggesting you pay full-price.  [On a side note, IIBAC won the E.B. White Read Aloud Award, which might be my new barometer for quality.  Could it be that after three years of award-bashing, that there is one award worth paying attention to?  And how come it took me so long to find it?  Stay tuned...]
    

BUY / Borrow / Donate / Destroy



No comments: