Splash!

Seems like more of a 'plunk' to me... 

THREE PROS
*No doubt about it, Flora McDonnell's artwork is excellent   
*What kid is gonna argue with a bevy of beasts from the Serengeti (okay so tigers don't really live there, but you get the point)
*Everyone seems to be frolicking, and who doesn't like a good frolic

THREE CONS 
*The writing splashes all over you like a pile of elephant dung 
*I hate when authors repeat sentences for no reason, and I hate it even more when they do it three times 
*Either the blue bird is a messiah or it was incorrectly drawn in such a way that it can literally walk on water

ONE DAD'S OPINION

This book isn't all wet, but it's pretty close.  There just isn't a compelling reason to read it, let alone recommend it.  Honestly, the illustrations are the only thing saving it from a failing grade.  In the sink-or-swim world of kidlit, this tiny animal doesn't have the traits necessary to survive. 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love you to review my book Miracle Miles. My email is Miraclemilesbook@gmail.com

Thanks!

Brian