Knock Knock

I was not expecting to find this behind door #1.                  

THREE PROS
*Holy wow, I daresay there are only a handful of books in the world of kidlit that pack this kind of knockout power -- the message is so strong that you can actually feel its effect on your chest
*Author Daniel Beaty should be commended for not only tackling a subject that causes a large group of children pain, but also for providing the most positive advice possible in how to persevere 
*If I was tasked with illustrating Beaty's content, I'm confident that I would have gone about it the exact same way Bryan Collier did   

THREE CONS 
*Unless your child is currently in the midst of the tragic situation associated with losing a parent, the book will actually do more harm than good (because it will cause them to question whether their own parents will die, go to jail, or leave in some other way, shape, or form)
*The differences between sky colors (supposedly a metaphor for the boy's mood) is not stark enough to glean its intent -- I wouldn't have made this a con except Collier specifically referenced it in his illustrator's note at the back 
*I can't remember the last time, if ever, where I finished reading a book to my son and felt the need to immediately find anything else in order to take his mind off the topic we just consumed 

ONE DAD'S OPINION
This is one of those rare occasions where a story does not jibe with my rating scale.  Honestly, the only thing I know that is not is a Donate.  I could totally see this as a surefire Buy for single parents.  If you are blessed with a happy two-parent household, I don't think I'd blame you for wanting to avoid Knock Knock altogether.  However, in both of these cases, there is an argument to be made for the opposite viewpoint.  The way I see it, exposing Daniel Beaty's words to any child, regardless of family status, will help them understand what life might be like for some of their less fortunate peers...                              

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy



No comments: