Dino Bites!

Excuse me, waiter.  Could I please send this back? 

THREE PROS
*Algy Craig Hall's super-sized illustrations (especially the cover image) made me want to give his book the benefit of the doubt   
*The page where all four characters are shown together along with their food-oriented names was my favorite because it captured the moment before all the action went down
*I also enjoyed Hall's depiction of facial expressions (particularly the dinosaur and the insect)

THREE CONS 
*There is at least one old lady who swallowed a fly calling the Patent and Trademark Office to determine what legal remedies are available to her 
*Normally I might be in favor of ending a book with a one-word exclamation --"Buuurp!" didn't work for me in this case, however 
*I'm not sure what the right word would be (give me a day or two and I could come up with it), but naming everything after something meal-related except for the dinosaur fractures the continuity to some degree

ONE DAD'S OPINION

I'm sure the majority of you have been asked some form of the question "If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?"  I'm also fairly confident that not one of you answered "books about a bunch of progressively bigger things eating each other only to spit them all out in succession."  This has to be one of the more hackneyed themes in kidlit.  Framing it in the normally child-friendly world of dinosaurs doesn't change this fact.  As such, I implore you to Donate this 'canned' item to the non-profit of your choice.  

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: