Jacob Lawrence in the City

I have to admit, I had never heard of one of America's greatest artists before grabbing this Susan Goldman Rubin effort published last year.  

THREE PROS
*Mr. Lawrence was quite a talent and his self-defined "dynamic cubism" is a feast for the eyes
*There's a chronological hiccup in the middle of the story that you rarely find at this level, and I like it
*Few books communicate the value the community can play in providing a child an extended family 

THREE CONS 
*I was surprised that a book centrally focused on the rhythm of urban life did not include one piece of art involving musicians
*I enjoy a good apostrophe-ended word as much as the next guy, but I would hesitate to use it in a setting meant to expand young minds
*Flying a kite down a crowded street will probably lead to more issues than its worth

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Upon further reflection, I think I see why my first con is weak.  The city has a music all its own, complete with millions of singers and even more instruments on every corner.  Rubin's ability to link it all together should be applauded.  Still, one of its greatest strengths might also be the reason it isn't a Buy.  I just have a tough time rewarding an author that piggybacks off of a genius' work.                   

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy


No comments: