Katy Duck

A story about a dancing female duck in a tutu.  Uh oh, I might not be the best judge...

THREE PROS
*A good book for parents of a dancer or children who get uncomfortable in certain situations and need a little encouragement
*Makes a Swan Lake reference that's kinda funny coming from a duck
*A male dance instructor wasn't what I was expecting, but I think it's a nice touch

THREE CONS 
*A book that claims to be about shyness should probably introduce that concept earlier than the final third
*Furthermore, she seems way to confident in her home to be categorized as shy -- stage fright is more appropriate (technically, they also make this reference on the back cover)
*The "tra-la-la quack quacks" are lame

ONE DAD'S OPINION
Look.  This Capucilli and Cole creation is decent.  I don't have a huge problem with it.  But if you are going to tell me what a children's book is for or about, I want it to be completely about that topic.  I don't think I'm alone in this.  The simple fact is that while shyness might be relevant to the climax, it just doesn't factor into the majority of the book.  Because of this, I'm gonna have to penalize it, the same way a dance judge would criticize a routine that looks good to the naked eye, but is missing key technical elements.           

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy


No comments: