Where's Spot?

So I included this book in my Pop Ups category, even though it is a lift-the-flap book (supposedly the first one ever).  I hope you'll forgive me for being so inclusive.

THREE PROS
*Animals hiding in/under/behind household furniture is clearly a recipe for success
*There's something about having pages end in a question that piques the interest of a child
*If it really is the "original" flap-lifter, then Eric Hill deserves some serious brownie points for creating a genre 

THREE CONS 
*The flaps definitely shouldn't have been situated so close to the spine, since they get more bent out of shape over time as a result
*Kind of surprised that the last page doesn't have a flap, but I guess it holds the symmetry of the first page not having one 
*Not sure I like that a rug was used twice to hide things (granted only once in the actual story)

ONE DAD'S OPINION
The only way this book could be any better would be if it had a dial you could spin that would switch the location of Spot's hiding spot. Other than that, I can't see any flaws that would cause me to lower the rating --  it accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do.  This explains how more than 10 million copies have been sold to date!

BUY / Borrow / Donate / Destroy


No comments: