Around Town


Ever wonder what a typical day in "Legoville" would be like?  Wonder no more. 

THREE PROS
*I would be a real blockhead if I didn't first mention how your kids will love to look at the pictures of professionally staged Lego scenes  
*Huge fan of the quiz at the back -- it's a fun way to test comprehension
*While Victoria Taylor didn't work all of the Lego elements into a truly connected story, it's by no means a disjointed collection of thoughts either (who knows, maybe a series of short snippets is the way to go with books trying to teach early reading skills)

THREE CONS 
*Let me be clear on the writing -- it's acceptable for kids but not the type of prose you will be reciting at the next mommy meetup 
*It's important to be honest with your children about what firemen and policemen do, but flames and thieves aren't the types of things I would choose to expose my son to, given the choice (although maybe it'll stop your tyke from shoplifting in the future) 
*Dear Lego:  why do all accessory pieces have to be larger than the people themselves -- I can't remember the last time I grabbed a man-sized cell phone or seven foot long wrench

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I think I have built a compelling argument for this book.  Looking at the various pieces of information listed above, it's clear that Around Town has a solid enough structure to be worth a looksie, even if it doesn't totally connect with the adult reader.  Lego of all your inhibitions, quit toying around with this review, and Borrow it if you can.  [Constructive comments from my readers are welcomed below.]
    

Buy / BORROW / Donate / Destroy



No comments: