One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

Is it just me, or does your first instinct have you picturing a freaky horror movie character uttering these titular words? 

THREE PROS
*It's always a plus to incorporate some well-placed holes in the pages to draw young minds (and fingers) into the experience  
*Salina Yoon was able to combine some interesting shapes and pictures with a bunch of bold colors -- in this sense it comes off as a better than average board book
*Robin Corey Publishing didn't skimp on the production cost one bit

THREE CONS 
*Other than learning the words to a popular kiddie song, there is literally no point to the story 
*There are multiple cases where only adult would even know how to view the shape in question in order to associate it with the number it is representing 
*If you actually try to interpret the words in the rhyme (especially the original full version, which goes all the way to twenty), you'll wonder why Yoon ever chose a circus theme in the first place

ONE DAD'S OPINION
I'm not sure the act of illustrating a classic nursery rhyme should qualify Yoon's book as a Famous Title in my categorization scheme, but I can't in good conscience include it.  It doesn't seem fair for a lazy adaptation which required no literary creativity to be included with the best known books of all time.  [Postscript: I added it anyway, since there were already similar books in this category.]  Moving on to the larger picture, I'm surprised I didn't give it a Donate and call it a day.  I mean the pros are actually pretty strong for something to ever get a grade below that level.  But, when I really thought about it, those cons are too blatant to ignore.  Why would anyone want to look at a book that fails at executing its main objective (counting), is a bore to read, and leaves you equally confused before and after the adventure begins?
    

Buy / Borrow / Donate / DESTROY



No comments: