I Go Potty!


Of the three potty training books I've read to date, this one is the biggest stinker. 

THREE PROS
*Takes a more casual approach to the process, foregoing any sort of advice in place of a virtual list of things for your child to do while waiting out his or her bowels   
*It's got a happy, no-pressure vibe to it
*Ends with a good hand-washing

THREE CONS 
*I'm not sold that this approach to potty training would ever really accomplish anything substantial (it might help your kid's psyche a little, but so would a good pep talk from mom or dad) 
*Doesn't even attempt to deal with the eventuality that the peeing and pooing might not happen 
*I totally just thought about where this book has been between the time it first arrived at the library and the very moment it touched my hands

ONE DAD'S OPINION

Publishers who take a dip in the murky waters of potty training have to know by now that the story takes a backseat to the service they are providing.  Quite simply, parents expect more from these titles than any other category I can think of off the top of my head.  We want something that solves the problem; if it does anything more than that, well, then that's a bonus.  In my opinion, I Go Potty! does not come close.  It's a sweet attempt, but, if you're really trying to transition from plastic to porcelain, you're looking for a book that gets down and dirty. 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: