This Is Not My Hat


We want that award back. 

THREE PROS
*No one can argue with Jon Klassen's pacing and delivery -- it flows the way you would want a children's book to   
*The author's mastery of the "what's going to happen next?" component also lends itself to a better experience
*Proves that you should never trust a crab with your secrets

THREE CONS 
*Seems completely derivative of I Want My Hat Back 
*Even though the little fish gets his comeuppance in the end, his justifications for taking the hat are more likely to push your kid down the wrong path than the right one 
*While there's something to be said for having the final three scenes presented in textless fashion, it kind of diminishes the value for parents reading aloud -- would have preferred just a few words on the last page to wrap it all up

ONE DAD'S OPINION

Another year, another example why the panel who chooses the Caldecott should be made to sleep with the fishes.  Before I even read it, I found it rather disturbing that the supposed best book of the year would be something that is, for all intents and purposes, a sequel.  So I avoided tracking it down for a while (mainly so my blog didn't gain a reputation as a total Caldecott basher).  But when I went to the library today and there were two copies staged right at the entrance to the children's section, I took it as a sign that the time had come to review it; which brings us to now.  Klassen's pinnacle moment is not nearly as good as the other hat caper, because it lacks the complexity of the former's whodunit nature.  TINMH is not bad, but not a keeper, and definitely not worthy of stealing an award away from more deserving candidates.  Cast your line somewhere else. 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: