Chew, Chew, Gulp!

Unappetizing... 

THREE PROS
*My son said he thought it was funny   
*Very simplistic rhyming scheme, but it gets the job done
*Jarrett Krosoczka's illustrations are pretty good -- and I got a chuckle out of the fact that he feels the need to include his middle initial in the credits (like we're gonna confuse him with the other Jarrett Krosoczka)

THREE CONS 
*I checked this book out because I thought it was going to provide some teaching moments related to choking prevention -- I am sad to report it does not 
*Sorry Lauren Thompson, I wouldn't classify prodding a tomato as a part of the eating process 
*When you already have a hot dog involved, why not have the children stab at peas instead of Vienna sausages

ONE DAD'S OPINION

For the first time in a long time, my local library had some slim pickings in the children's section today.  Still, I thought I was putting something decent on my plate when I scooped this title up.  Alas, while it didn't give me the dry heaves, it is definitely not the type of fare I would put on my regular menu.  Your kids deserve a healthy diet of quality kidlit, not the empty calories provided by Chew, Chew, Gulp! 

Buy / Borrow / DONATE / Destroy



No comments: